Children’s Savings Account Program
What is the Children’s Savings Account Program?
- The Children’s Savings Account Program (CSA) is an effort to encourage students to aspire to continue their education or training after high school, help them prepare for it, and help their families pay for it. The program starts in kindergarten and goes through 12th grade. Tacoma Housing Authority partnered with the Washington State Guaranteed Education Tuition (GET) program to make it easier for families to save for their children’s future goals.
- The Guaranteed Education Tuition (GET) Program is Washington’s 529 Prepaid Tuition Plan. GET is a great way for families to save for future education expenses and watch their savings grow tax-free and remain tax-free when it’s used for qualified expenses at schools and colleges nationwide and abroad.
- The GET Program guarantee means that the value of the account will keep pace with tuition growth of the highest priced Washington public college (University of Washington and Washington State University).
- Your child can attend any public, private, community, technical/vocation school in the U.S. and even schools abroad and use their funds to pay for a variety of education expenses.
- You can make contributions to an account at any time, in any amount. The most effective way to see your savings grow is to routinely deposit whatever amount you are comfortable with and plan to increase it as you can. Every dollar saved is less a student borrows.
- The GET Program works on a “unit” based system, where 100 units represents one year. Every year there is a unit purchase price, and also a unit payout value, which is what the units are worth that year. When you contribute to a GET account you are accumulating units or even partial units.
- There are no enrollment fees to open accounts.
- Contributing to a GET account is a great gift from family and friends. They just need to know the GET account number and where to send it and can contribute anytime, such as birthdays and holidays.
- Visit the FAQs page for more details about the GET Program.
Who can participate?
This program helps families save for their children’s education after high school. The program is currently available to students who meet the following eligibility:
- Live in Tacoma’s Salishan neighborhood and be a student at any Tacoma Public School; and
- In grades K-11th
Complete this form to get started!
THA will review your application to decide whether your child is eligible. THA will write you with its decision and instructions for setting up your family’s GET account. If THA receives more applications from eligible students than it can serve, it may use a lottery to fill additional spaces.
Pres the 'next' button below to complete your application.