Who is sponsoring the PSK Alumni / Dr. Anthony Fusaro scholarship program?
The Phi Sigma Kappa Alumni Association of Northern Illinois University is pleased to offer academic scholarships aimed at promoting and fostering scholastic excellence, aligning with our fundamental principle of "To Stimulate Scholarship." These scholarships are named in honor of Brother Dr. Anthony Fusaro, who served as the local chapter advisor from 1967 to 1990. Throughout his dedicated service to our fraternity, Brother Fusaro also held esteemed positions such as National Grand President and National Foundation President. Currently, he continues to contribute to Phi Sigma Kappa as the National Ritual Chairman and a Member of the National Court of Honor. Additionally, Brother Fusaro made significant contributions to the NIU community as a Political Science professor, Political Science Department Chairman, and Associate Provost. In 1990, he left NIU to become the President of one of Pennsylvania State University's campuses. Following his retirement, Dr. Fusaro now resides in Lakeland, FL.
Who’s eligible for receiving the PSK Alumni Association? / Dr. Anthony Fusaro scholarships?
There are two types of scholarships: One must have been a newly initiated member at the beginning of the semester the award was earned
- * Highest New Initiate GPA
- * New Initiate 3.0 or higher GPA
To be eligible for the Highest New Initiate or New Initiate GPA above 3.0 scholarships, you must: Your membership status at the beginning of the semester the award was earned.
- Be a newly initiated member in good standing the previous corresponding semester. For example, if you are applying in the Spring semester you would have to have initiated in the previous Fall semester
- Enrolled/Completed at least 12 hours at NIU for the semester.
Conditions under which a scholarship will NOT be given:
- If you are not up-to-date on your financial obligations to the Alumni Association and the Active Chapter (This would include OMEGA financial balances).
- If you fail, in the eyes of the Active Chapter and/or the Alumni Association, to maintain the other two Cardinal Principles of Phi Sigma Kappa, To Promote Brotherhood and To Develop Character.
Who will make the Scholarship Decision?
The awards will be compiled by the PSK Alumni Scholarship Chairman with the help of the Local Chapter Scholarship Chairman and be submitted to the PSK Alumni Board of Directors for a final vote.
What are the Amounts of the Scholarships?
- Highest New Initiate GPA = $250 or the amount below whichever is highest and a certificate *
- New Initiate GPA awards are as follows also with a certificate *
GPA Ranges & Amounts
3.75 to 4.00 = $400
3.50 to 3.74 = $300
3.25 to 3.49 = $200
3.00 to 3.24 = $150
* (Note: Award is given according to semester GPA)
What are the requirements for the scholarship recipients?
The primary factor in selecting successful candidates for the scholarship is their academic performance. However, if a recipient has engaged in behavior that is inconsistent with the values expected of a fraternity brother, whether it be towards the active chapter or the Alumni Association, they will be disqualified from receiving the stipend. This includes outstanding debts and property damage. The Alumni Association has the authority to make all final decisions regarding the awards. If an applicant wishes to appeal a decision, they should submit a written appeal to the Alumni Scholarship Chairman before the end of the semester in which the award is given. Appeals can be sent to Scholarship@PSKaaNIU.org.
In addition to the preceding eligibility requirements and conditions:
- Candidates must submit the online scholarship request by February 15th (Fall) & June 15th (Spring). Any late submissions will NOT be accepted
- Official Transcripts must be collected by the Active Chapter Scholarship Chairman
- Transcripts must be verified by the Active Chapter Advisor or Alumni Association Scholarship Chairman
- All members are subject to and must abide by the Northern Illinois University Students Code of Conduct
How do I start the process to get my scholarship?
When will all the winners be announced?
Once all the necessary records, including transcripts of eligible members, have been received, the Alumni Board Scholarship Chairman will gather and present a list of candidates for voting by the Alumni Board. Following the vote, the Alumni Scholarship Chairman will notify the local chapter of the selected recipients. Subsequently, the scholarship funds will be deposited into an account, and the recipient(s) will receive either a check, a deposit into their bursar's account, or, if applicable, a credit applied towards any outstanding balance on their housing contract. Certificates acknowledging the winners may be distributed at a suitable event or occasion.
Who do I contact if I have any questions?
For any inquiries, please direct written correspondence to the Alumni Board Scholarship Chairman at Scholarship@PSKaaNIU.org or contact them via phone at 815-977-7560, extension 13.
Please be aware that the Phi Sigma Kappa Alumni Association of NIU retains the authority to make changes to any terms, requirements, or options of this program at its discretion, without prior notice.