Attendance to ALL rehearsals and concerts is vital to the success of the GMYS program. The true musical and educational experience of the organization is dependent upon having every child at every rehearsal. Students should arrive 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start of each rehearsal to tune and warm up. Rehearsals will end on schedule unless otherwise notified. Please report all absences in advance to the GMYS office (305) 667-4069 or via email at email@example.com. Unexcused absences are those absences not reported to GMYS before rehearsal, excluding emergencies and extenuating circumstances. Students with more than two unexcused absences in one semester will not be eligible to perform in the December or May concerts, will not be able to apply for summer camp employment, will be ineligible for current and future scholarships from GMYS, and will not receive community service hours from GMYS. Virtual students must have their cameras on during their Zoom meetings. Students not engaged will be considered as absent. Students with an unexcused absence at a concert will be dismissed from GMYS. The use of cell phones or other electronic devices is strictly prohibited during rehearsal time. Students can be placed on probation for the followingreasons. The ensemble director will establish terms of
• Students who were ineligible to perform in a concert because of attendance
• Tardiness or absence from dress rehearsal
• Excessive tardiness (more than three) to weekly rehearsals
• Inappropriate behavior including but not limited to: disrespect, excessive disruption, unauthorized use of cell phone, etc.
Any student placed on probation can be declared ineligible to advance to the next orchestra, i.e. a Concert student with poor attendance might not be eligible to audition for Symphony. Seating can be affected by any unexcused absence or tardy and can also be affected by probation. Students are responsible for signing in at rehearsals with the designated personnel. Students with perfect attendance will be eligible for various gifts or honors. Rehearsal cancellations by GMYS due to severe weather conditions will be posted on the website and recorded on the office telephone. Dress rehearsals for concerts will take place the day of each concert prior to the performance. These rehearsals are the only opportunity for each orchestra to adapt to the acoustics and logistics of the stage. It also gives vital opportunity for each player to experience the venue in which the concert will take place. Please note that:
• Dress Rehearsals and Concerts are mandatory. *Subject to Change*
• Anyone who misses Dress Rehearsal will not be allowed to perform in the concert.
• Unexcused absence from a Dress Rehearsal or Concert may result in dismissal from GMYS for the remainder of the year.
CONCERT ATTIRE IS STRICTLY ENFORCED. Failure to comply may result in a performer’s loss of privilege, at the Conductor’s discretion.
• Concert Attire will be determined by ensemble.
• Community Service Hours will only be given out at the end of the fall and spring semesters.